I am back in the office today after a long summer holiday in the United States. The best thing about my annual visit to the States–after spending quality time with my family and friends, of course–is the coffee.
This summer the coffee was especially good. With this variation on the “what-I-did-this-summer” back-to-school essay, I want to thank the farmers, buyers, roasters and baristas who grew, sourced, roasted and served these extraordinary coffees and made this my best coffee summer yet.
- Muungano DRC–My first taste of the DRC, and now I know what the fuss is all about. Wow. Can’t wait to try more coffees from the origin that seems to have left so many specialty roasters breathless.
- Ethiopia Idido Special Prep Lot 1–In the running for the best coffee of the summer.
- Honduras El Puente
- Ngurunguru Kenya
- Ethiopia Duromina (hot and cold-brewed)
- Guatemala El Injerto Bourbon
- Honduras El Puente
- Indonesia Biea Penantan
Olympia Coffee Roasters
- Aricha Misty Valley Ethiopia
- El Salvador La Escalera
- Kilenso Ethiopia Natural
- Kochere Ethiopia microlot–Wow again.
- Oaklands Estate Kenya
THE COFFEE BARS.
Baltimore–-Set in a rehabbed mill in a seedy section of Baltimore, Artifact features stunning architecture, a great menu, single-origin Counter Culture offerings at the pour-over bar, and the coolest sink in coffee.
- Coava Coffee
Portland (Brew Bar)–Artifact may have a great sink, but it can’t top the bathroom at Coava, whose neighbors at Bamboo Revolution did virtually every surface is bamboo. Oh, right, and the coffee is amazing. If there is a more unique café space than the Coava Brew Bar, I haven’t seen it.
Burlington, VT–Started by the owners of a design firm and it shows: antique bikes and not much else hanging from the walls in this spare gallery space.
- Olympia Coffee Roasting Company
Baltimore–Cindy Wolf may be Baltimore’s most celebrated chef, but marble coffee bar hidden away in her upscale diner Johnny’s is one of the city’s better-kept secrets.
- Peregrine Espresso
- Street 14 Coffee
Astoria, OR–My first visit to Street 14 Coffee, which was on my radar ever since Sprudge urged its readers to buy the place. ¡Fantástico!
Ace Hotel, Portland; Pine Street, Seattle
Thanks for the great coffee!